Cooling Tower & Closed Circuit Coolers Descaling
Cooling towers are used in a range of industries for heating, ventilation, HVAC, and industrial purposes. Over time, water scale, lime, rust, and dirt can accumulate on the waterside of the tower. This can eventually lead to reduced efficiency and permanent damage.
Precision Dynamics products clean cooling towers and closed-circuit water-cooling systems without shutting them down. Water cooled equipment can be online when circulating our industry-leading descaling solutions.
What is a Cooling Tower?
Cooling towers are specialized heat exchangers. They bring air and water into direct contact in order to reduce the water’s temperature. This is done by pumping heated water into the cooling tower through pipes.
The water is sprayed onto fill, slowing the flow of water and establishing maximum air-water contact. As the water flows it is exposed to air, resulting in a small amount of water being evaporated, ultimately cooling the water down.
Cooling Tower & Closed Circuit Coolers Descaling Solution
- Dynamic Descaler: Our industry-leading descaling solution is recommended for cooling towers and closed circuit coolers. We do not recommend Dynamic Descaler for stainless steel applications.
- Descale 518: We recommend Descale 518 for stainless steel cooling applications.
- Citric Descaler: Our Citric Descaler dissolves almost twice as much calcium carbonate than any other Descaler on the market.
- Platinum Descaler: Our Platinum Descaler does not contain hydrochloric acid. It can be circulated into water-cooled machinery safely and effectively.
- Aluminum Descaler: Our unique descaling solution is perfect for cooling towers and closed circuit coolers that contain aluminum dyes and cast molding.
- Aqua Safe Descaler: We recommend our aqua safe descaler for marine cooling towers & closed circuit coolers. It is environmentally safe and effective on most metals.
For any questions about which descaler to use, email us at email@example.com or call us at 1-800-388-5818.
See our Descaler in Action
Cooling Tower and Closed-Circuit Water-Cooling System Descaling Instructions
In order to dissolve all water scale, lime, rust, and dirt from the waterside of your equipment, it is imperative that these instructions are followed.
*Please contact us before use if your system contains Galvanized metals.
1. When units to be cleaned are in operation or merely connected with water flowing to them, shut off make-up water and bleed-off to tower and/or sump tank.
2. Open the drain valve in the bottom of the sump tank and lower the water level to a point where the pump still circulates without cavitation. If the pump sucks air, add a minimum amount of make-up water to maintain circulation.
3. In order to clean the entire system, including cooling tower, sump tank, pump piping, and all associated equipment on the tower while the system is in operation, you must first determine the tonnage of your cooling tower. Documentation supplied with your tower or nameplate on the tower should indicate the cooling capacity, in tonnage.
4. Please refer to the Sizing Chart below to compute the proper amount needed.
5. Slowly add this quantity of our Descaler to the sump pump over at least a two-hour period.
6. Circulation time should be at least five hours during which all equipment should be online. However, anytime thereafter the make-up water can be turned on and the bleed-off opened and set to remove all of the dissolved solids from the system.
7. In order to purge all insoluble from closed circuit systems, it is suggested that after circulation, the drain valve should be opened, and make-up water added until all water in the system is clear. Close drain and establish proper bleed-off and make-up.
8. When convenient, it is recommended that the sump tank be drained and flushed, and that the strainer screen be removed and inspected for any insoluble.
When cleaning cooling towers and closed-circuit coolers, it is sometimes hard to determine the amount of scale buildup that has been accumulated over a period of time. For example, there might be a case where you have a 500-ton cooling tower, and you need more than the recommended 150 gallons of Descaler. The amounts on the Sizing Chart are just for the cooling tower and the closed-circuit cooling only, not for the entire system, (pump piping and all the associated equipment that is using the cooling water).
For the entire system, take the tonnage and multiply by 0.7, which equals the amount of Descaler to be used. To view the sizing chart, download the instructions below. If you need technical assistance or have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-800-388-5818.